Assistant Professor Dr. Georgios A. Sotiriou
Dr. Georgios A. Sotiriou is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology at Karolinska Institutet (Birgitta Henriques-Normark Unit) focusing on nanobiotechnology and biomaterial technology. He received his PhD from the Particle Technology Laboratory (Prof. Pratsinis group) at ETH Zurich, Switzerland (2011) and carried out postdoctoral research stays in Harvard University (2013-2015, Center for Nanotechnology and Nanotoxicology, Prof. Demokritou group) and ETH Zurich (2015-2016, Drug Formulation and Delivery Lab, Prof. Leroux group) before joining MTC. His research has been recognized internationally by several awards including the 2011 AIChE Bionanotechnology Graduate Student award, the 2012 Best PhD Thesis Award from the Swiss Chemical Society, the 2012 ETH Medal for outstanding Dissertation and the 2013 Hilti Award for Innovative Research and the 2017 ERC Starting Grant.
DISTINCTIONS & AWARDS
- European Research Council, ERC Starting Grant 2017.
- Elsevier Top Cited Paper Award for 2011 and 2012, AIChE 2014, Atlanta, USA (2014).
- Hilti Award for Innovative Research, ETH Zurich, Switzerland (2013).
- TechConnect Innovation Award, Washington D.C., USA (2013).
- ETH Medal for Outstanding PhD Thesis, ETH Zurich, Switzerland (2012).
- Reg Davies Award, International Fine Particle Research Institute (IFPRI) Annual Meeting, Ludwigsburg, Germany (2012).
- Best PhD Thesis Award, Division of Polymers and Colloids, Swiss Chemical Society (2012).
- 1st place at the AIChE Bionanotechnology Graduate Student Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (2011).